Friday, July 3, 2009

Our eyes were bigger than our hands!

Last weekend, Mark and I strolled down to T-Town and painted our house. I think we bit off a little more than we could chew in one weekend, but with the help of friends and family we got it done.
We got into town on Thursday and immediately went to Home Depot (after eating at Wings of course!) to purchase all the supplies we would need to paint a house. Except the paint because we had already purchased it. Little did we know that this would be the first trip to a home improvement store, but not the only trip!
Friday began slowly with a sleepy wake-up call at 7am. After a quick breakfast and a 45 minute drive, we began working on cleaning up the basebaords and walls to tape off everything. This was my nightmare and I could only take so much. Not because I have an aversion to cleaning but because I have an aversion to hundreds of pairs of eight legs and eyes. That's right! They were everywhere and they came in all sizes! Luckily, I have a very sweet husband and a generous Mother in Law who took care of eliminating most of them. After the nightmare was over, the taping began. We taped and taped and taped until the word lost all meaning! We sent Mother Kajdos home about 6pm because Mark and I had planned on putting the first coat of paint on the walls of the office and the guest room. We did not leave till about 11pm. What a first day!
Saturday began with an even harsher wake-up call at 7am. After another quick breakfast, another 45 minute drive, a visit to Lowe's AND a 30 minute search for a Starbucks, we got started on painting the largest area of the house. Kara and I started by painting with a brush and Mark started the rolling. It worked out great for me that he liked to roll and it worked out great for him that I liked the brush work. Matt showed up about 1pm and with all of us working very hard with very few breaks we got everything done, except the master bedroom. Can you believe that we ran out of paint? Kara went with me on the third and final trip to Home Depot to get one more gallon of paint at 9pm. That seemed to finish us all up and we headed home about 10pm.
I bet you can guess how Sunday started! An early alarm at 7am. It was especially hard for Mark since he stayed up to hang out with friends till almost 3am, but we made it down to the house by 9:30am and the clean up began! Mark and his mom removed the tape around the baseboards while I was up and down the ladder removing the tape around the ceiling and painting over mistakes. We left about 2pm with a satisfied feeling and pictures!
All in all, everything went well and I do not want to see another paint brush for a very long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment