Monday, February 9, 2009

Dog Parking

One of the best bonuses I have discovered about living in Atlanta is Brook Run Park. Legend has it that the park was built on the site of an old insane asylum called Brook Run, and because of that, the park is said to be haunted! Fortunately, I have yet to be graced with the presence of anything supernatural. Brook Run is a park located smack dab in between my apartment and where I work. It has a playground for small and big kids, an inground skateboard ramp, several walking paths and best of all, an off leash dog park! It is the best way for us to exercise Jade. She is so social. Jade sniffs every dog and every human in the park. She loves to play with other dogs especially small, fluffy dogs. Jade also enjoys being chased and boxing with the heavy weights!

When Mark and I were discussing adopting a dog, we of course discussed which breed would best fit our life style. The Rottwieler breed made it to the number one slot. After a lot of research, it was confirmed that we would start looking for a breeder. We knew from the get go that we would have to battle the steriotype that comes with the breed. This being said, it does not make it any easier to deal with naive people. Owning a Rott narrowed down possible places to live in Atlanta to one. Even then the rules were bent to allow us to live there. It has also given us some negative experiences at Brook Run, but they definately do not out weigh the positive experiences.

Two weeks we took Jade to Brook Run three times. On Thursday, Jade bounded inside the gate and after conducting some specific business of hers, she immediately made a friend. The owner of the other dog politely asked me if Jade was a Boxer. How could someone get a Boxer and a Rottie mixed up is the thought that went threw my mind, but I lightly laughed and answered no that she was a Rottie. Immediately he picked his dog up and left without another word. Of course my heart sank deep into my chest. How could someone not want their dog to play with a friendly, energetic, loving dog just because of its breeding? I sometimes cannot help but feel a little prickly, like a porcupine, when we arrive inside the gate, anticipating someone to treat her like that again.

Last week, we also took Jade to Brook Run three times. When I took her there on Thursday, I met a very nice gentleman who told me that Jade reminded him of his Rottie whom he had just lost to cancer. He was over joyed to see her run and play! At times like these I swell with pride to know that others see her like I see her. Several people, including children, fell in love with her on Saturday and Sunday and just could not stop saying how wonderful she is. We never get tired of hearing compliments! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment