Saturday, February 21, 2009

FB

Once upon a time I was free. I did stuff that every normal, free person does. I worked, went to school, did homework, hung out with my friends on the weekends and got as much sleep as possible. I did not get "online" that much. I checked me email twice a month (which annoyed my mother), I used the internet for school and did basic research. Then a friend, who will remain nameless, kept bugging me to sign up on Facebook. I did not want to becasue I have never been that interested in doing computer related things. The more and more my friends talked about it the more curious I became. So I logged on for the first time, filled out all my info, and immediately became a slave to Facebook.

First, my enslavemnet started off slow. I would log on once a day to change my status and to read about what my friends are doing. Everyday, I would have more and more friend requests so naturally that increased the number of times a day I would log on to Facebook. Suddenly, I started to receive "flair" and "bumperstickers" and "invites" to causes and events. After I figured out how to access all that stuff, the length of time I spent logged on would increase. It started off low, about five to seven minutes, then the time rapidly started to increase until it spilled over and I needed to log on more times a day to get in all I wanted to look at on Facebook. Soon, the enslavement increased. I did not notice it at first because the chains were tightening in very small increments. But, it did not take long to realize that I no longer type like I used to. My sentences were all screwed up. Sometimes, they were not even sentences just sentence fragments. I no longer capitalized anything. I started using alien acronyms like "lol", "brb" & "ttyl" among many others. What finally caught my attention was that I no longer used any kind of puctuation at the end of a sentence except the exclamation point. I did not use puntuation at all in my sentences anymore. I found myself using commas, colons, semicolons and parentheses to form different smiley faces and hearts. The clincher was when my coworkers invited me to join a specific application on Facebook called Mob Wars! I joined and immediatley I was hooked permanently. Of course, I had to bring my husband in on it too! What kind of wife would I be if I did not include him in everything?! Now, I check FB more times a day than I can count and I stay connected longer than I care to reveal.

No comments:

Post a Comment