Monday, February 23, 2009

Series of Unfortunate Events

Okay, so last week was a doozie! It started off with a bad Monday, which is never good. Tuesdays are never good days for me because I have to bring the dog with me to work. I never know how she will behave. But this past Tuesday was horrible! One of my responsibilities at work is to print out the next day's appointment sheets and call the clients to remind them of their appointments. I had just printed out the sheets and I was getting up to get them when my pinkie finger on my left hand got stuck between the counter and my chair as I swiveled. I had some good momentum going as I was swiveling (it amuses me to make myself spin in my chair!) and so I smashed my finger so well that it took two tugs to remove it from its pinned position. I immediately jumped up and stated dancing around because it was some of the worst pain I had ever experience! I also had to keep a scream bottled up because we had a client in the first exam room which is very close to my desk. My entire hand was killing me. It felt like every one of my fingers was being cut off and the pain was quickly spreading up my arm. I have never gotten nausiated from seeing blood, but after I looked at my pinkie I started to feel the blood drain from my face and became very weak. I knew I was about to faint so I went to the bathroom (so I was not on display at my desk), put my head between my legs and fainted. I was not out but a few seconds and then had to vomit. That, however, did not make me feel better. I got up to get a band-aid from my boss's medicine cabinate, but she wanted me to wash my hand first. On my way back to the bathroom, a coworker asked me to look something up for her, but I could not think straight to do it. I walked back to the back, stumbling the whole way, fighting not to faint again, when my boss looked at me and told me to go sit in her office. I did and tried to put my head between my legs, but i could not keep it there. All I could do is rock back and forth trying not to focus on the intense pain, but on not fainting and not vomiting. Another one of my coworkers brought me a cup of water and a cold wash cloth because I was pouring sweat. The moment I realized that I was in shock was when my hands started to tingle like they were going to sleep. It did not take long for the sensation to rise all the way up my arms and for them to turn completely white. My hands became immobile and were stuck in a crab's pinscher like position and I was slurring my words. At this point, I was solely focusing on willing myself not to get into anymore trouble than my body already was. Thankfully that only lasted for about a minute, then the blood started to flow back into my limbs. I made a full recovery just in time to eat lunch!

My next unfortunate event occured on Saturday night at a restaurant. I was eating fried rice when someone asked me a question. When I went to answer, I inhaled a piece of corn and could not breathe. I coughed it up pretty quickly though. The third unfortunate event was this morning. I was sitting at my desk and had to sneeze so I sneezed. I then had to blow my nose as a result of that sneeze. Then my nose started gushing blood. I stopped my hemoraging rather quickly. Pay attention next time something happens to you. Chances are they happen in threes so watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment